You can register for IELTS quickly and easily through our Online Registration Service.
To register, simply follow the steps below:
1. Read the Information for Candidates
Download and read the Information for Candidates which contains important information about the test format, the question types and the test results. Please note that IELTS is not recommended for candidates under the age of 16.
2. Decide which version of the test is right for you
Please note that if you are taking IELTS for UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) purposes then additional options (and rules) are applicable. Visit what is IELTS for UKVI for relevant information.
If you are not taking IELTS for UKVI purposes, there are only two versions of the IELTS test:
IELTS General Training
Read our simple guide to help you decide which version of the test is right for you.
3. Check the IELTS test dates
There are a limited number of places for all our IELTS test sessions. To make sure you get a place, we recommend that you register two months before your chosen test date. Of course, places may be available after this date. You can use our Online Registration System to find up-to-date information about test dates and availability.
Please note: Your Listening, Reading and Writing test will be completed on the same day. Your Speaking test may be offered on the same day, or up to a week before or after your main test day. You will receive notification in advance if your Speaking test is on a different day to your main test day.
4. Register online
Use our Online Registration System to book your place on the test.
Please ensure you are able to provide the documents in step 5 and are able to pay using the payment method in step 6.
5. Prepare and send your documents
Please submit the following documents by post or in person at our Dar es Salaam office within five working days of submitting your online application:
- A signed copy of your confirmation form.
- Proof of payment (see payment details below).
- Two passport sized photographs not older than six months. Candidates should not wear glasses on the photos and should have a neutral expression.
- A valid passport (we will take a photocopy), valid on the test day. If you are posting documents from outside Dar es Salaam, we will accept a scanned copy of your passport.
6. Pay for your test
The cost of sitting a test is 520,000 TZS. You can pay for your test via a bank transfer/deposit. Bank details will be provided at our customer service desk.
7. Complete your registration
Print the Application Summary at the end of the registration process.
Submit all documents by post or in person at our Dar es Salaam office within five working days of submitting your online application.
You will receive the final confirmation email only when we have received all of your documentation within the five day deadline. Otherwise we regret that we will have to cancel your registration and you will have to start the procedure again.
We cannot process incomplete applications, so please make sure you have sent us all the necessary information.
Copies of your results
If you would like your results to be sent to universities or other educational institutions, please enter the relevant addresses in the appropriate fields on the online registration form. We can issue a maximum of five copies per student.
8. After you register
After registering you will receive an automatic email with your access codes to the free online course: Road to IELTS.
- We will send you a confirmation email ten days before the test date giving you the start time of your test and the venue address
For more information please contact us.
IELTS is designed to be a fair test and your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any special needs that you may have.
We can help you with any special arrangements you require for your test. For example, we offer support for people with visual impairments, hearing difficulties and dyslexia.
Please contact us three months in advance of your test date to find out how you can apply for special arrangements.
If you want to request a refund, please read our refund policy (see downloads section below) prior to making a request.
You can apply for a refund:
- If you cancel your registration at least five weeks before the test date, you will receive a refund of the test fee, minus a 25% administration fee. To do this, please complete and submit a request for refund or test day transfer form (see downloads section below).
- If you cancel your registration within five weeks or less of the test date, you will not receive a refund unless notice is given in writing supporting the following; serious illness, loss or bereavement, hardship/trauma or military service. We will need to receive your request and supporting evidence at least five days before the test date.
Test day transfers
If you want to transfer to a different test date, you need to notify us at least five weeks prior to the test session you have registered for. To do this, please complete and submit a request for refund or test day transfer form (see downloads section below).
For proven cases of illness on the day of the test, a candidate will be transferred to another date providing a medical certificate is provided within five days of the exam. An administration fee of 25% of the test fee will be deducted.