To lead on the strategic business development of the British Council Teaching Centre in Tanzania, building relationships with key partners and developing our market insight to meet customer needs.
|Location||Dar es Salaam|
|Closing date||Monday 28 November 2016|
Context and Environment
The successful candidate will manage the British Council Teaching Centre (‘The Centre’) in Tanzania. This covers all aspects of resource and finance management , staff deployment, business development, marketing, service delivery and customer service. The Centre product line includes general English courses for adults with some business courses. We aim to develop our offer further based on market insight particularly in the field of company courses, Young Learners and blended learning both in and outside Dar es Salaam. We currently have a Centre staff of 14 within an office of 31. There are 7 other Centres in the SSA region.
The candidate will directly line manage up to 5 members of staff.
The British Council acknowledges our duty of care to ensure a healthy and safe place to work for our staff, customers and visitors. We aim to achieve this through compliance with the safety laws in each of the countries in which we operate. We aim, where practicable, to follow UK standards, guidance and codes of good practice where these offer enhanced standards of health and safety.
Our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Policy (EDI) commits us to ensuring that there is no unjustified discrimination in the recruitment, retention, training and development of staff on the basis of age, disability, gender including transgender, HIV/AIDS status, marital status including civil partnerships, pregnancy and maternity, political opinion, race/ethnicity, religion and belief, sexual orientation, socio-economic background, spent convictions, trade union activity or membership, work pattern and on the basis of having or not having dependants or any other irrelevant grounds.
All employees of the British Council must adhere to the Corporate Health & Safety, EDI and Child Protection policies and the Code of Conduct
Accountabilities, Responsibilities and main duties
The post-holder will be accountable to the Country Director and to the Strategy Management Team more widely for the successful implementation of agreed Centre performance targets
Specific duties will include:
- leading on the strategic business planning and marketing development of the Centre
- defining the marketing and business strategy for the Centre, and ensuring its effective implementation
- establishing and maintaining strategic relationships with key partners and stakeholders
- promoting Customer Service Excellence
- managing the business planning process for the Centre
- management of Centre resources to meet agreed performance targets in line with British Council procedures
- resolving day-to-day operating and resource issues for the Centre team to ensure consistently high quality services are delivered efficiently
- managing staff performance and team development and provide inspiring and motivational leadership that role-models the British Council’s values and behaviours, and empowers and enables Centre staff to deliver excellence.
- ensuring that the Centre meets all relevant internal and external compliance requirements (financial, regulatory etc.) and that the Council is operating legally, with integrity, and in a way that manages risk effectively.
- as a member of the Strategy Management team acting as role model, holding colleagues accountable and providing feedback, support and development opportunities across the directorate.
You can read a detailed role profile here.
How to apply
You can access the full role profile on our jobs portal and apply here. You will also find additional information on British Council behaviours and British Council core skills required for this post on the jobs portal